This is likely to be a mobile email app. Could be either iOS or Android.
Fix: Identify the app and the OS version and determine whether the OS/app combination supports Modern Authentication.
|Device Type||Operating System Version||Email Application|
|iOS (iPhone, iPad)||11.3.1 or later||Apple Mail
Outlook for iOS
|Android||8.0 or later||Outlook for Android|
If the OS/app combo supports modern authentication, delete the email account and re-add it to the app, this time doing a 2FA Duo login. If the OS/combination does not support modern authentication, see if the OS will run the Outlook mobile client and get it from the Apple App Store or from Google Play.
The Apple Mail app on iOS 11.3.1 or later supports modern authentication. The bundled mail app on Android 8 or later supports modern authentication. In these cases, delete the account from mail, re-add it and do a 2FA Duo login.
- Open Settings > click General
- Click About to find your operating system version (Software Version)
- Return to the main page of the Settings app > scroll to Mail
- Click Accounts > click your UChicago email account > click Delete Account
- Open the App Store and search for Outlook
- Click Get and authorize the installation
- Open the Outlook app once it’s finished installing
- Enter your uChicago credentials and complete the 2 Factor Authentication
If your operating system version is 11 or higher, proceed to remove your email account
Removing your email account
Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Open Settings > click System
- Click About phone
- Click Software Info to find your phone’s operating system version
- If your OS is 8 or higher, proceed to remove your email account and re-add it. This differs per email app. Please contact us if you have any questions.
If you can’t get the device’s bundled email app to authenticate because your OS version is lower than 8, then get the Outlook mobile client (from the App Store if it’s an iOS device, or from Google Play if it’s an android device). The Outlook mobile app can currently be installed on android devices running android 7 or higher. It can be run on Apple devices running iOS 13 or higher. If the device is too old to run the Outlook Mobile app, then it is too old to run an email app that can handle UChicago email.
As an alternative, you can always access email via the web: https://outlook.office365.com/.
Please feel welcome to contact SSCS if you need help configuring your mobile device.