Training & Workshops
The training workshops below are hosted by Academic Technology Solutions staff. Register for these live workshops by clicking on “Register”, or view a pre-recorded session by clicking on “Recorded.” You can also view the full calendar list of workshops and virtual office hours by clicking here.
- Pedagogical Considerations for Remote and Hybrid Teaching (90 min): Register or Recorded
- New and Updated Tools for Remote and Hybrid Teaching (30 min):
Register or Recorded
- Introduction to Canvas for Remote and Hybrid Teaching (60 min): Register or Recorded
- Creating Inclusive and Accessible Environments (60 min): Register or Recorded
- Library Services for Remote and Hybrid Teaching: Register
Using Panopto and Canvas
- Using Panopto for Remote and Hybrid Teaching (90 min): Register or Recorded
- Creating Short Panopto Videos in Canvas (30 min): Register or Recorded
- Effective Use of Discussion Boards and Course Blogs (30 min): Register or Recorded
- Scheduling Office Hours in Canvas (30 min): Register or Recorded
- Live Captioning in Zoom Class Meetings (30 min): Register
- Engaging Students in Remote and Hybrid Teaching (90 min): Register
- Introduction to Zoom for Remote and Hybrid Teaching (60 min): Register or Recorded
- Using Zoom Annotations for Virtual Board Work (30 min): Register
- Managing Breakout Rooms in Zoom (30 min): Register
- Managing Student Interactions in Zoom (30 min): Register or Recorded
Designing Assignments and Grading
- Beyond Essays and Exams: Assessment and Assignment Options (90 min): Register
- Designing Research Assignments Using Library Resources (60 min): Register
- Canvas Assignments & Gradebook (45 min): Register
- Canvas Online Quizzes and Surveys (60 min): Register
- Giving Exams Using Canvas (30min): Recorded
- Online Proctoring Options (45 min): Register or Recorded
Additional Pedagogical Resources
Transitioning to Online Remote Teaching
- Teaching Remotely: an ITS designed guide providing strategies and tools to help with the process of teaching online.
- Remote Teaching: Additional training guides and latest developments at the Law School.
- Remote Teaching Scenarios: A how-to on combining a variety of strategies for online teaching from Cornell.
- Pedagogical Guidance for Remote Teaching: A good primer on the challenges to moving to online classrooms.
- Moving Online Now: A collection of articles, advice, and resources from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Best Practices: Best practices to follow when teaching online as suggested by Stanford.
- One-on-One Teaching Consultations: From the Chicago Center for Teaching
- Instructional Design consultations: From Academic Technology Solutions
- Sample technology survey for polling students’ tech capabilities/issues
- Ask a Librarian: Help integrating library resources
- Setting up e-reserves from the library for Canvas
- Customized research instruction program from UChicago librarians
- Zoom Request Form: Obtain, change or delete a no longer needed UChicago Zoom account.
- Zoom Group Account Creation: our guide to creating a group Zoom account.
- Web Conferencing with Zoom: An overview and additional resources aimed at making Zoom work best for you.
- Panopto for Canvas Users: Documentation on using Panopto and integrating your media with Canvas.
- Panopto for Non-Canvas Users: Documentation on using Panopto for teaching without Canvas.
- Academic Technology Solutions virtual office hours: For live support on remote teaching